Monday, August 23, 2010

Cheers to Perfection

The world wants us to be extroverts. I had a hard time growing up as an introvert. People don’t let you BE if you’re an introvert, they bang on the door continuously, trying to coax you out of your shell, as if you’re inept and need saving. As if extroverts are more valuable to the world. The banging leaves you with nothing but a headache.

I’m not sure that a person who is fundamentally introverted can be re-molded into an extrovert. They can pretend to be one with immense effort, but doing that can lead to immense unhappiness. Extroverted, organized, logical thinkers are prized in society over introverted, free-rolling creative thinkers. And here’s the problem: if you’re inherently introverted and you witness the world in praise of extroverts all through your life, it’s instilled in you that THEY ARE BETTER and you should seriously consider changing.

And so I did change. And now, if you meet me, you’ll find it difficult to classify me as either an introvert or an extrovert. I’m trapped dead in the middle between these two. It feels uncomfortable at times.
There are moments when the introvert in me is listening to myself speaking as a third person. My voice sounds unnaturally loud, my hands should be at my side rather than flailing around making gestures in front of me, my attitude should be less arrogant.
And the extrovert that’s now a part of me is disappointed if I don’t react quickly and cleverly enough in conversations, nods in disapproval when I’m the fly on the wall rather than the life of the party and pities me when I don’t forcefully own an idea that was originally mine.

I've been reading some blogs and articles on this topic and there are surprisingly many who are stuck in-between and can’t categorize themselves as either introverted or extroverted.
To these people I say cheers... Don’t be confused, I think the category you’re seeking is PERFECTION.


No comments:

Post a Comment