Friday, October 15, 2010

Easter Eggs

I love easter eggs, a little too much I think.
Do you know what an easter egg is? I don’t mean the painted or candied or chocolate kind. I mean the well concealed exciting kind, placed in movies and games and pictures and books. Like the blue tennis courts which appear instead of grass when you hold down “2” before the match screen loads in Wii Sports. Or the pink bear in the little girl’s bedroom in UP who is later revealed as a major Toy Story 3 character. Or those puzzling pictures which have 50 movies cryptically hidden in a large busy scene that you can somehow happily waste hours of your life solving.

I don’t quite know why, but there is this real excitement attached to unearthing an easter egg. A sense of accomplishment even though you probably would’ve been just as well off if you hadn’t found it. They serve no genuine purpose but somehow add quality to an experience. I think this is mostly to do with the fact that YOU are in some way made to feel like a CHAMPION for discovering them.

So hats off to the clever selfless artists who have taken the time to place easter eggs in the landscape of our lives for us to uncover. They’ve essentially bundled joy in tiny unobvious packages, thrown it out and very quietly said “Fetch”. And I am a happier puppy for it ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment